What Can You See Off The Coast of Seattle?
Off the coast of Seattle, you can see several islands, including Bainbridge Island and Vashon Island, as well as the Olympic Mountain Range. Additionally, you may see marine wildlife such as whales, seals, and seabirds. On clear days, the view of Mount Rainier in the distance can also be spectacular. For these reasons alone, you can do great outdoor activities in Seattle.
Types of Outdoor Activities To-Do In Seattle
Hiking and Trail Running
Seattle, Washington, has fantastic hiking trails with spectacular views. Here are some of the best hiking trails in Seattle and the surrounding areas.
A mountain that offers panoramic views of the Cedar River Watershed, this is one of the best places to hike in the Seattle area. You will be at the various trailheads’ entrances, only about a 30-minute drive outside downtown.
A popular hike located about 30 miles from Seattle, featuring a steep 4-mile trail to the summit with stunning views of the surrounding valley and mountains. This mountain is one of the state’s most prominent peaks.
With over 500 acres of forests, beaches, and meadows, this is the largest park in Seattle and offers trails for all skill levels. Some say it has one of the best panoramic views of the Olympic mountains. Discovery Park has a lot to offer.
The Burke-Gilman Trail
The Burke-Gilman Trail ranges throughout the northern tip of Seattle into Bothell and follows the coastline. Whether you are looking to walk, run, cycle, or skate, there are tons to see along the trail. This trail offers the perfect mix of the outdoors and the city landscape.
There are many options if you want to do water sports when you come to Seattle. Here is a list of Seattle’s best places to do water sports. Be sure to check them all out.
If you want kayaking, paddleboarding, or even boating, you can do it at Lake Washington. One of the best ways to experience Lake Washington is by kayaking or stand-up paddleboarding.
Rentals are readily available at many marinas and public access points along the shore, including:
- Gene Coulon Memorial Beach Park
- Matthews Beach Park
- Kenmore Air Harbor
These vessels provide a unique perspective on the lake, allowing you to explore its many coves, inlets, and islands. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced paddler, there’s something for everyone on Lake Washington.
Lake Union in Seattle, Washington, is a bustling activity hub offering various recreational and entertainment opportunities for locals and visitors alike. Here are some of the things you can do at Lake Union:
- Kayaking and Stand-Up Paddleboarding: Rent a kayak or stand-up paddleboard and explore the lake’s many inlets and bays, taking in the sights of the surrounding cityscape and nearby mountains.
- Boating: Rent a small motorboat or take a scenic tour of the lake on a larger vessel. You can also bring your boat and launch it at one of the many public boat launches around the lake.
- Sailing: Take a sailing lesson or charter a sailboat and enjoy the thrill of the wind in your sails while taking in the breathtaking views of the lake and surrounding cityscape.
- Museum of History & Industry (MOHAI): Visit MOHAI, located on the shore of Lake Union, to learn about the history of Seattle and the Pacific Northwest.
- Lake Union Park: Take a walk or picnic at this public park on the lake’s northern shore. The park features a beach, a marina, and several public art installations.
- Lake Union Drydock: Take a tour of this historic boatyard and see the restoration and repair of vintage vessels.
- Houseboat Living: Visit one of the many houseboats that line the shore of Lake Union, many of which are available for rent as vacation homes.
Puget Sound in Seattle, Washington, is a stunning estuary with a diverse range of water-based activities for visitors. Here are some of the most popular water sports you can experience in Puget Sound:
- Kayaking and Stand-Up Paddleboarding: Rent a kayak or stand-up paddleboard and explore the Sound’s many inlets, islands, and bays. You can take in the stunning scenery, watch wildlife, and experience the unique natural beauty of the Sound.
- Boating: Rent a motorboat or sailboat and enjoy the open water of Puget Sound. Whether you’re fishing, whale watching, or simply cruising, you’ll find plenty of opportunities for adventure on the Sound.
- Surfing: With its numerous beaches and consistent waves, Puget Sound is a great place for surfers of all levels to enjoy.
- Scuba Diving: With its abundant marine life and clear waters, Puget Sound is a popular destination for scuba diving. Many dive shops and charters can take you on a dive adventure.
- Beachcombing: With its many miles of coastline, Puget Sound is a great place to spend a day beachcombing. You can hunt for seashells, explore tide pools, and enjoy the scenic beauty of the Sound’s many beaches.
Harbor and Sailing Tours
A harbor sailing tour in Seattle is an unforgettable experience that offers a unique perspective on the city and its surrounding beauty. Here are some of the reasons why you should do a harbor sailing tour in Seattle:
- See Scenic Views: Seattle is surrounded by stunning scenery, including the Olympic and Cascade Mountains, Puget Sound, and Lake Union. A harbor sailing tour provides a front-row seat to take in the breathtaking views of these natural wonders.
- You Can Learn More About Seattle’s Rich History: Seattle has a rich history and unique cultural heritage, and a harbor sailing tour provides the opportunity to learn about the city’s past and present. Your tour guide will provide fascinating insights and stories about Seattle’s history and culture as you sail through its waters.
- Experience Wildlife Watching: Puget Sound and Lake Union are home to a wide variety of marine life, including seals, sea lions, dolphins, and whales. A harbor sailing tour provides the chance to see these amazing creatures up close in their natural habitat.
- See Seattle at Sunset: Go on a boat tour at Seattle Tall Ship and see the Seattle skyline at sunset. This is the perfect outdoor activity for anyone looking to dine on the Seattle Waterfront with a spectacular panoramic view of the city, the Cascades, and the entire Seattle coastline.
We hope you found a few outdoor activities that are fitting for you. On the coast of Seattle, there are tons of things to do and see. Check out our blog for more information on the best places to visit while in Seattle. Our website has all of the best events, things to do, and more!